Friday, June 26, 2009

Tim's Draft Wrap-Up

Channeling Bill Simmons, check out Tim's running draft blog entry (nice touch with the Family Guy reference, Tim):

Summer Trade Rumors/ Running Draft Blog

Ok… Everyone take a nice deep breath…

Ahhh, feel better? Good. This is how I felt at midnight last night when the draft was over and Danny Ainge had taken his heart doctor’s advice and hadn’t gotten himself worked up wheeling and dealing for higher draft picks. Does anyone seriously think that the Celtics could have gotten anyone in the draft worth trading Rajon Rondo or Ray Allen for? Maybe Blake Griffin…maybe. I was actually quite bored throughout the draft, as no major moves were made (I was ready for anything after the Shaq and Carter trades). Two of the most interesting moments of the night were when New York fans reacted to Steph Curry getting taken one pick before they could take him, and then finding out that Darko Milicic was coming to town. Overall, I was disappointed, yet happy that the Celtics had stayed boring as well.

It’s looking more and more likely that Ainge’s recent trade rumor name dropping was just that, rumor. Rondo’s name was thrown around in trade scenarios for a high draft pick, and then with Ray for half of Detroit’s starting lineup. There was no chance that Detroit was going to make that trade and I’m a little put off that the Celtics would even desire those players. There’s nothing special about the Thin Man or Rip Hamilton anymore, and Stuckey widely disappointed last year. Believe me, I know – he was on my fantasy team. And who wants Detroit players on our team – aren’t we supposed to loathe them? I think what we have here is a GM making a statement that no one is untradeable, even hot shot starting point guards on championship-caliber teams. Apparently Rondo had been late for a few games and isn’t the easiest kid to coach. From what I’ve seen he takes all the criticism that Doc throws at him during games in stride, without arguing or talking back. I agree his consistency could be better, but that will come with experience.

I still don’t understand the involvement of Ray Allen in these Rumors other than perhaps gauging his value for next year if the “Three Amigos” can’t bring home the ‘ship next year. As I said in my previous blog entry, they deserve another shot at it next year, but I said nothing about the year after – we’ll see what that looks like when we get there…

Now, a trade could go down tomorrow, or next month with no notice (everyone collectively cross your fingers for the rest of the summer…and fall). We’ve seen firsthand through the Garnett-to-Boston trade that when the summer heats up, so does the trading market. However, recent comments by both Ainge and Rivers seem to point to holding on to Rondo (duh!). I wish I could say the same for Ray…(sigh).

Whatever.

I did a Bill Simmons-esque running draft blog last night, though it is nowhere near as in-depth or comprehensive as his – it’s only the lottery picks plus #58.

Running Draft Blog

The recliner foot rest is up, the Sox are on channel recall, and the Draft is starting…

Pick one – LA Clippers – Griffin (yawn).

OK, now for the rest of the 2009 NBA Draft Lottery…..

I notice that a lot of players, including Blake Griffin and Steph Curry, are wearing varying shades of light purple this year…this IS a weak draft. Curry’s tie actually matches the color of his lips.

Jon notes that Stu Scott comments that Griffin looks like “a very happy man…”, yet I don’t think he’s cracked a smile since finding out that the Clippers had the first pick.

Followed by an awkward interaction with Griffin’s parents…then a Dunleavy sighting where he tries to pretend the current team will be kept together…

2nd pick – Memphis - Thabeet is a TOWER.

3rd Pick – OKC… JAMES HARDEN! What happened to Rubio? Ruh-roh. I sense a regrettable decision. Harden’s interview - “I’m not the fastest guy. I’m not the most explosive guy. But I can get from point A to point B.”…What? (Peter Griffin voice).

4th – SAC – Tyreke Evans…and Rubio is faaaalling…Well, at least the Celtics can’t trade to pick him now…(knock on wood that they don’t swing something later on…)

5th – MIN – Rubio it is. Jon and I just died laughing when we heard his voice in the interview… (Like a Keebler elf – Jon)

6th – MIN (again) – Johnny Flynn…another PG, how does that work?

7th – GS – Steals Curry from NY. The whole family looks crushed.

8th – NY – Jordan Hill…not as exciting. Poor guy gets the yearly boo.

9th – TOR – Demar Derozan (I called this one.)

10th – Bucks – Brandon Jennings – No college for this boy. 7.6 points a game…eww.

11th – NJ – Terrence Williams, not really sure what he can do…1st senior selected in the draft.

12th – ‘Cats – Gerald Henderson, I like this pick for them.

13th – IND – PSYCHO T! I was hoping he would drop to 58…

14th – PHX – Earl Clark – Brandon Jennings makes an awkward re-appearance after deciding not to attend the draft/ gets a half-hearted cheer.
58th pick – Celtics – Lester Hudson- This guy was second in the nation behind Curry in points! Cool! Let’s see if Ray Allen can groom him into something special. That’s about all you can ask for a 58th pick, someone from a small school with a lot of upside. I’m just throwing this out there, but I think Danny Ainge may have found another late draft Leon Powe-like diamond in the rough.

Well that’s it for the draft. Recently some friends of mine have tried to convince me that moving Ray Allen for young talent might be an OK thing to do now, especially because he’s getting too old.

Now I’ve already written a whole blog entry why that should never happen, but because they insist, I must quote Jesus Christ speaking to the disciple Peter who is sinking into the sea because he does not trust Jesus:

“Oh you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

No comments:

Post a Comment